The most significant point to consider while applying for admission in international graduate schools is establishing the admissions requirements for the programs which the student wishes to apply. This is vital because the prospect may vary from program to program. In case the student is applying for a counseling psychology program, the requirement for this would be experience in the "people-helping" profession. In case the student is interested in pursuing an academic career through a graduate school, the admissions committee will be more interested in the student’s publications.
Most colleges and universities follow the same admission procedure. The most common requirements are:
* Online Application Form
* GRE/TOEFL Score (Request ETS to send score to the school)
* Official Transcript
* Letter of Recommendation
* Statement of Purpose
* Financial Statement
Also, make sure to check the Application Checklist available at the university website before submitting your application.
Tips to remember during application process:
* It is in the best interest of the student to have the photocopies all applications. It is advantages to prepare individual files with all the details on each University or college to which the student had applied. All the correspondence from the student to institutions and vise versa should be recorded and put away in their respective files.
* The student should adhere to all the rules specified in the application. In case of a need for exception, the student should enquire the admission office for the same.
* If there are any additional sheets submitted with the application the student should remember to put his name and social security number on any additional pages.
* The presentation of the application should be both neat and professional looking. The way the application is presented could make a lasting impression on the selection committee.
* Mistakes in the essay(s) or the application to be submitted should definitely be avoided. In case the student is doubtful he could have someone proofread his essay(s) and application. A single mistake could result in the reservation of the application.